My professional writing career started at age 17, when Chris Forsyth, then editor of Nation Review (an Australian independent weekly newspaper), commissioned me to write film reviews. At age 18 I began my career as a rock music journalist, writing regularly for mainstream publications such as The Australian newspaper and for specialist music publications such as RAM (Rock Australia Magazine).
Across the ’80s I interviewed and wrote about many of Australia’s iconic rock bands. Some of these – The Angels, Cold Chisel, INXS, Dragon, Divinyls – I blog about on this site.
In the late ’80s I wrote articles for magazines such as HQ and Cleo at publisher Kerry Packer’s Australian Consolidated Press (ACP). As a sideline to journalism I undertook publicity assignments for record companies and creative artists.
In the ’90s, I worked at blue-chip advertising agencies in London, mostly in marketing and business development roles:
- Arc Advertising, as Marketing Director 1999
- Western International Media Europe (previously the media department of what was then Lowe Howard-Spink), as Marketing Director 1997/98
- Maher Bird Associates (the integrated communications agency within what was then Simons Palmer Clemmow Johnson), as Business Development Director 1996/97
- Walsh Trott Chick Smith, as New Business Manager 1995/96
- Institute of Practitioners in Advertising, Advertising Effectiveness Initiative 1994/95
In the early ’90s in London I also worked at Haymarket Publishing and at a public relations consultancy, Wiggmoore Publicity.
On my return to Australia, in time for the Sydney 2000 Olympics, I wrote funding submissions and marketing materials for non-profit organisations.
Non-profits I’ve worked for include:
- National Heart Foundation (Victoria), as Communications Officer
- Garvan Institute of Medical Research (St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney), as Public Relations Officer
- Bethany Community Support in Geelong, as Marketing & Fundraising Manager.
In addition to my professional writing I have published widely as a creative writer in Australian literary journals and anthologies, winning several awards. I have a BA (Hons) from Sydney University with a major in English.